Tuesday, May 8, 2012

a simple Tuesday

Happy Tuesday,

I don't know if I had mentioned this or not but for the last couple of weeks I have felt like a lost puppy.  My favorite (and only) scrapbook store decided to close their doors.  I first started scrapping there 12 years ago.  I instantly was hooked.  Two years ago I was hired to be a part of their design team and I LOVED it.  I then was hired to teach classes and then I took on more responsibility and managed their social media with their blog and facebook.  I LOVED every minute of it. At times I was extremely busy and even a bit stressed but I still LOVED it.  I guess from now on I will be an online shopper because the closest store is an hours drive.

Then I found out that Burlap and Buttercups was closing as well.  I had so much fun designing sketches and hosting a challenge each month.  I really loved working with everyone. Rachel, the owner, is just awesome.  I totally understand why both places are closing but I still feel lost, but the old saying is true- "when one door closes, another one opens"- knowing that these two doors were closing I tried out for SO MANY design teams and was feeling a bit blue that I had SO many rejections but then last week happened and I was accepted on to 2 manufacturer design teams and I have a  couple of guest spots coming this month, this summer and early fall. I feel very blessed!

My question is to you all that don't have a local scrapbook store near you- where do you shop?  I am not a huge shopper but I do like to have some fun products!

On to my project-- This is a card using the Simple Stories Documented collection that  I received from Cord Scrapbook Studio.  The two people are stickers from their element sticker sheets.  When I saw those stickers I knew right away that I wanted to make a card with the heart background and add a splash of color by adding red hearts.  I then added the sticker sentiments and I was done.   



supplies
cardstock- bazzill
paper- simple stories
stickers- simple stories
misc- sewing machine, silhouette

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I will be back tomorrow with a new project.  See you then! Have a wonderful and crafty day!
-mp

23 comments:

Margie Higuchi said...

Sorry to hear about the closings - not fun. I recommend my online store - Scrap-mart.com They are the nicest people! I met them at a Scrapbook Expo in Chicago. I LOVE their prices too :)

Love the card and the design of it - great pop of red!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Very sweet card, Mary Pat. I love the big heart behind the sticker. I know what you mean about stores closing. We have nothing left here except JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. :( Even the online store I designed for closed about two years ago. Now I shop at either acherryontop.com or 2Peas.

Janet's Joy said...

I know how you feel too Mary Pat. No LSS here anymore. I just have a Michaels. I count on my DT kits for some new product. Simon Says is a place where i have done some online shopping before.

Jingle said...

Oh, I totally understand! My local store closed last summer and I still miss them terribly! I use AC Moore and Mike's, but other than that I get a lot from DT work and then shop online. It's the only way to get the good stuff!

Jingle said...

Oh...I forgot to say that your card is super cute! :-)

Rebecca at How I Burb said...

Love those Simple Stories items. They are great for so many things.

Sorry to hear so many endings happened all at once for you, but good for you for looking for other opportunities, too!

Unknown said...

Oh I feel your pain. Both our lss closed early last year and now there's just Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I lived in Houston for 25 years and then Phoenix for 4 years and always had lots of choices for scrap stores. But here in this small town I have resorted to online shopping more and more. I love creativeplaystamps.com for their personal service and fast shipping, though they don't carry a ton of 12x12 paper. 2peas carries a lot of product but tends to sell out really fast and their shipping is not the fastest. Since my kids, friends and life (as I like it) are still in Houston and it's only about 2 hours from me I tend to wait to shop for paper when I go to Archiver's. I'll fill in my stash with what I can find at HL or Mike's.
So sorry for your lss loss...I know the feeling!
Sweet card:)

Anonymous said...

such a great card!!! We are lucky to have an Archiver's about 15 minutes away, but I don't buy too much there as their markup is so high. I buy most of my stuff online :) My favorite is 2peas as they always have great stuff, a loyalty discount and super cheap or free shipping.

Just Jaime said...

Sorry about your favorite LSS closing! I usually shop at the box stores, but their selection is rather lacking.

Love your colors!

Tracey McNeely said...

Such a cute cute card Mary Pat, I love the couple. The two closes stores to me have closed in the past two years. So I have Michael's and one in Toronto, but that is an hour away. I shop at Two Peas and Simon Says.

Becky said...

Adorable card today, made me smile! So sorry to hear about your LSS. I know they've been a huge part of your crafting life. Surprisingly the box stores carry a fair amount of product, it just takes awhile for them to get it. And it's more like punches and stuff like that. As for paper and embellies, I buy from Two Peas, it's great when they offer free shipping. Archiver's is 20 minutes from my work, but they are SO expensive, I try not to buy from them unless I'm just dying for something :) I hope you find something that works.

Erica said...

We used to have over 70 stores in the So Cal area to shop at and now we're down to maybe 30. Thats ALL of the So Cal area though so some of them are a good 70 miles away from me. The closest one is about 25 minutes and I try to get up there at least once a month.

I shop all over the internet. I have a few sites that make me really happy with product selection and service so I stick with them. My most recent find is Blue Moon Scrapbooking.

Connie Mercer said...

very cool card~love that look!!!!

Teka Cochonneau said...

lovely card. :)

Linda Beeson said...

I am crying with you!!! Just yesterday I made the 50 minute trip to one of the stores I go to, it is a fabulous store and I love to go to the area for other shopping but nothing here locally and that is so sad.

Unknown said...

<3 the card mary!

Mira said...

I am grieving with you, Mary Pat. I have loved Simply Scrapbooks since they opened their store in Kettering. I don't mind ordering on-line, but it's not the same as being able to actually see the product in the store. There have been times I have decided I didn't need or like the newest paper collection coming out, and then I see it at SS and I decide I have to have it (lol). I got spoiled just being able to run over there and pick up what I needed. Congratulations on your new design teams and your guest spots. Wish you the best.

Laura-whosthischick said...

Cute card. I shop studio calico, 2peass and scrapbook.com

Katie said...

I'm sorry your store and Burlaps and Buttercups is closing. I have never had a scrapbook store nearby, there is one in the suburbs here, but its an hour's drive (that I've made more than once because its just so fun there!) And when I lived in New York, there wasn't even one that was drive-able! I usually shop at either Michael's, Jo-Ann's or A.C. Moore (A.C. Moore was my favorite, but there aren't any out here!) I also like scrapbook.com, but their shipping can be a little high.

Congrats on the new design teams though! I love the card also!

Sue Althouse said...

Very cute card! That is a sad double whammy, so very sorry your LSS is closing. I drive about 40-45 minutes to the nearest LSS, Scrappy Chic. I wish a store was closer, even thought about opening one myself!

Sue Althouse said...

I'll add that as far as online shopping, I love Two Peas because they are here in the Midwest, so shipping is fast and I usually buy enough so it is free. I've also shopped at Simon Says Stamps out of Columbus, also fast shipping. But sometimes, you just want to see things in person, and get that scrapping fix! Going to Mega Meet this week, can't wait for that!!

Norma G. said...

Very nice card and I'm so happy you were chosen for design teams and guest spots. Your work is truly inspiring. All of my LSS have shut down too so I'm getting supplies at the big box craft stores but think I may start ordering online.

Tracy said...

Such a fun card.
So sorry your favourite stores are closing :(
We used to have 3 scrapbooking stores and are now down to one.
She has a lot of products, but not the papers that I love.
I have only ordered from oozak.

Post a Comment