Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Layout from Start to Finish

Happy Sunday,

Start to Finish blog posts have become very popular, and I have had several emails about my process and how I work.  So I thought I would let you see how I create.  If you don't want to see all of it just scroll to the bottom to see the end result. 

1.  First I start with my photo. 
2.  Next I pick the paper.  I knew I wanted to use Jillibean Soup's Hearty Barley for this layout.  I also added a couple of older lines to the mix.
3.    Next,  I make a rough sketch of my design.  I carry my paper pad with me at all times because you never know when that idea is going to come to you. 


Here is the main idea of making my photo the center piece and below the photo adding layers of pattern paper. Iwould then add some pattern paper at the top of the page and the bottom leaving the center open.

4.  Technique #1 Misting-- Have you tried this technique yet?  If not it is super duper fun!  First, you start with a box to keep the mist from splattering everywhere.
Here is my box-- you can see it has been used A LOT!

5.  Now I like to use Mister Huey by Studio Calico and I like to uncap the bottle and flick the mist onto my paper by tapping the side of the cap.

For this layout I wanted to add white as my base and place the spray droppings in the top left corner and bottom left corner with a couple of drops in the top right.  I then added a bit of red ontop.

6.  It is important to let the paint droppings to dry.  While it is drying I like to set up all my pattern pieces and embellishments.

Technique #2-- Use your pattern paper as embellishments 
I like to use my pattern paper as embellishments.   I love this piece of pattern paper
but I really only wanted to use just a couple of hearts so I cut them out to use as embellishments.

All my pattern pieces and embellishments ready to be used.
7.  Now the fun can begin!!  It is time to build the page.
Here is a look at the misted page before I added the top and bottoms with the pattern paper.
8.  Next I worked on all the layers that will go under the photo.  There is no right or wrong way to layer paper.  It is whatever looks good to you.  I wanted some banner pieces to start out with.
Frugal tip #1-- I didn't have a long enough strip of the light brown polka dot paper so I cut it in half and placed on stripe on each side giving the effect of a long strip.

9.  Next, I layered my photo and mattings on top.
Loved the way it looks so I glued it all down.  For all my projects I like to use the various Xyron Products!

9.  Now embellishment time-- Here are the embellishments that I knew I wanted to use.
Time to build the page.  I like to start with the embellishment cluster near the photo first.  It is just trial and error to see what looks good.

I like my added hearts that I cut out.  They worked out perfectly.

10.  Now time to build the top.

I added some more hearts and then my title.  Love how it looks and time to glue it all down!

The finished page:
 


supplies
paper and embellishments- jillibean soup
twine- the twinery
mist- mister huey
tools& misc- ek success border punch, foam dots, xyron runner, xyron x

I hope you enjoyed my scrapping process, techiniques, and frugal tips.  If you have any questions please feel free to email me!  I love it when you do!!

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I will be back tomorrow with a new project.  Have a wonderful and crafty day!
-mp

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Clever girl you are! Love this layout and love the steps you have shown to achieve it!!

Anonymous said...

turned out great!

scrappymo! said...

I always love step by step lyout instructions. You did a great job on this layout and it was fun to see the steps you used.

Cook Scrap Craft said...

super cute! It was great to see your process.

Annette Allen said...

that was fun...thanks for the step by step...your layout came out amazing...

Margie Higuchi said...

WOW, Mary Pat! GREAT step outs and I know how much work goes into this so I appreciate it! LOVE that page you created - so SWEET!!

jaylen watkins said...

Wonderful one. Excellent one. Thanks for this.

Cv Template

Johanna said...

Your picture looks lovely and your LO is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to share :-)

Danielle said...

It was nice to see your process. The layout is super cute! Love how you cut the hearts out of that pattern paper.

Jingle said...

Wonderful layout and how fun to see the process!

Unknown said...

Can I tell you how much I love this layout! Your start to finish process is amazing and totally makes me want to go get more of the woodgrain paper that I just used recently myself.

Unknown said...

Love the step by step process!! The misting really looks great on there, love the layout!

Heidi said...

Oooh I love this layout. That paper is awesome.

Steph said...

Adorable layout! My process is not nearly as organized.

Tanya Ham said...

Great layout, and love that you showed your whole process. It's so interesting to me to see how similar or different other scrappers are!!! :)

Connie Mercer said...

I love to see the process~my brain doesn't work like that~I decide as I go!! BTW~awesome work, super cute!!!!

Becky said...

Super cool to see your process and how the adorable end result!!

Pam W. said...

Great layout! Thanks for sharing your process - it's always fun to see how other people work. The picture is adorable too!!

Katie said...

I loved being able to see your process and the fabulous layout you created! The picture you used is adorable, and that frugal tip about cutting the paper to make it appear to be a long strip is a great one!

Erica said...

Great layout! I love that you have the patience to photograph the process. I tried a couple of times and forget to take pictures each step of the way because I'm so into the layout.

Christina Collins said...

How fun!
Such a cute layout. Love the paint droplets.
Quite envious over the fact you have the ability to take pictures while you work without getting completely sidetracked!

Madeline said...

Enjoyed seeing your process, beginning to end! Beautiful results too!

SandeeNC said...

Wow, that took a lot of work to show each step, you did a great job on your tutorial, I really need to get a large shallow box for my misting, I usually drape a plastic sheet cause any puddles from over misting can be used too! But the box sure would be easier!

Lisa said...

Love all the work put into it. What a great end result, such s cutie!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful layout, Mary Pat ~ and how fun to see your process!

Karen said...

The layout came out great! The best part is the photo - what a sweet face :)

Amy said...

super cute! love seeing your process :)

Teka Cochonneau said...

I love seeing the process people use to create. Your layout is super sweet.

Izzy Anderson said...

A great result and what a fun peek at your process!

Tracy said...

Great layout Mary Pat.
With all the work you put into your layouts, I am impressed that you get so many done.
I had a chuckle at the word paint dropping, teehee. Yes I am immature

~Tammy~ said...

I am impressed that you have time to get so many done...being a mom, working, and everyday life. You must get no sleep! Your attention to detail is always top notch! Beautiful layout as always!

Post a Comment