Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dream Come True

Hey there,

I want to tell you a story about when I was  a little girl.  The Easy Bake Oven was the toy to have in the late 60's and it was all I wanted for Christmas.  Well my mom shopped everywhere and it was all sold out.  I then asked for it for my birthday and never got it.  As I grew up I always joked with my mom about the one gift I never got.  We would laugh and I would make my mom feel guilty (not really!)  Well this summer my mom, the kids and I would go garage sale shopping on Thursdays.  At one of the last garage sales in the  summer we drove by this house and in the driveway I saw the box.  I told my mom and she got out and bought me the Easy Bake Oven (for $3!!).  It was finally a Dream Come True.  I finally had what I had always wanted!

So as soon as I got it all cleaned up I wanted to make my first cake.  Jack and Mom watched as I mixed the batter and poured it into the little pan.  Jack was so excited to get his own personal size cake.  We followed the directions and put it into the oven and we waited and waited.  When it was time to take out the cake we were so excited; however that was short lived.  As soon as we saw the ooey gooey mess we all started to laugh!  It was terrible! So I once again cleaned it all up and boxed it up and it is now in storage in the basement.  I will not give it up because it holds such wonderful childhood memories, and now extremely funny memories as an adult. 

Afterward I made Jack cupcakes by the way!  He was happy with that!

A Dream Come True!

This layout is dedicated to my childhood dream.  I had so much fun making the layout!  I used the Doodlebug Bon Apetite line.  Love the bold colors that only Doodlebug can do.




Supplies:
All Doodlebug except for the jounaling block.  The block is a stamp by Ali Edwards.

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday.  I am cleaning and getting ready for Michael's little Birthday Party tomorrow.  I can't wait!  I will be back tomorrow! 

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

mborrero said...

love that story I wanted an easy bake oven too, my Mom let me use the "BIG oven " instead.

namaste
Melina

living, creating, and appreciating
~my blog

Everything Scrapbook and Stamps DT member

Murphy's Law said...

great memory and story. love the lo!

Pam said...

Your story cracked me up!:-D I wanted one of those too. I think our moms' were smart and knew what kind of mess we would make playing with it.;-) Love the layout!

Christina said...

I loved my Easy Bake Oven as a kid!
I didn't realize when I stopped by your blog yesterday that you were from Kettering. I'm in Fairfield-just between Cincinnati and Dayton.
What a small world.
I'm following your blog-don't want to miss posts by a fellow SW Ohioian. :)

Tracy said...

Not only do I love your layout, but I love, love your story.
I did get one though ;) Actually I got 2. For Christmas my mom bought me a green one, that you slide the cake pan through. My dad (parents divorced) sent me a yellow one, where you opened the door like an actual oven. I used them equally. Probobly once, teehee.

Stephanie said...

Love your story!! Bummer the oven didn't work, though! Your layout is great. Fantastic way to remember. :)

Sue Althouse said...

Great story and a great layout! How I remember the Easy Bake Oven!

Carrie said...

Such a cute story and great layout. :)

Post a Comment